Samasource is an award-winning social business that connects women and youth living in poverty to dignified work via the Internet. Using a proprietary technology platform, we break down large-scale digital projects into small tasks for women and youth workers in poor areas around the world to complete. Samasource serves leading technology and archival organizations, including Google, Walmart.com, and Getty Images, and offers a range of data services ranging from transcription to image tagging and custom content generation. These workers are trained in basic computer skills and paid a living wage, often allowing them to support their entire households. Currently, Samasource provides work to people in Uganda, Kenya, Haiti, India, and Ghana.
Samasource was founded in 2008 and is supported by major corporate and philanthropic funders including The MasterCard Foundation, Google.org, eBay Foundation, Cisco, The Rockefeller Foundation, The California Endowment, and the U.S. State Department. The organization has been featured widely in the press. Samasource is headquartered in San Francisco’s Mission District and has 30+ employees. It is a member of the Sama Group, a family of impact enterprises dedicated to ending poverty and promoting social and economic justice using technology.
Position Overview: Managing Director
Samasource is seeking a strong, strategic leader with substantial experience in business process outsourcing (BPO) to manage and grow its impact sourcing business. This role, based in San Francisco, California or Nairobi, Kenya, reports to the CEO of Sama Group, working closely with the Group's management and Board of Directors to grow earned income, institute quality improvement programs, and form strategy and key performance indicators for the enterprise. The Managing Director will run day-to-day operations, lead a strong management team, and create a foundation for future growth.
This role requires seven to ten years of experience within a BPO firm in an international environment. The ideal candidate will have experience managing business development and sales, evaluating potential contracts, overseeing the set up and management of new delivery centers, developing quality standards and quality improvement processes, and managing complex client requirements in transcription, data processing, content generation, and similar projects.
• Work with the management team, Sama Group leadership, and board to develop a comprehensive strategic plan for Samasource’s earned revenue business
• Oversee sales, delivery, enterprise marketing and solutions engineering teams
• Establish key business metrics and report outcomes on a weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis
• Work closely with sales team to develop sales and margin targets and hit quarterly new business, recurring revenue, and quality goals
• Build the delivery team to manage the successful fulfillment of customer contracts across Asia, Africa, and the Caribbean, in line with sales and margin goals
• Develop a framework for consistent quality and profitability improvement
• Develop capacity and bookings plans with Sama Group CFO to manage volume of sales in line with delivery capacity
• Work with Sama Group's marketing team to develop lead generation strategies for new business
• Manage a solutions engineering team to handle complex customer integrations with the SamaHub, our technology platform
• Drive overall business to sustainability while maintaining commitment to social impact
• Participate in group annual audit, working closely with financial leadership and the Sama Group Board of Directors
Required Skills and Attributes
• Leadership -- Able to recruit and retain a strong team of leaders in sales, operations, delivery, and marketing on three continents
• Track record in earned revenue growth in the BPO industry-- Must have experience growing a delivery operation to meet customer demand, working with customers to understand quality requirements, and serving large technology and data enterprises
• Analytical strength -- Able to make smart business decisions and manage complex trade-offs to scale earned income and adhere to our social mission
• Responsibility -- Self-directed and transparent in reporting on business outcomes according to agreed KPIs to management and peers
• Diplomacy -- Tactful and thoughtful in working with clients and delivery partners in multiple geographies
• Frequent traveler -- Very comfortable with frequent heavy international travel -- based in San Francisco, California, or Nairobi, Kenya, with frequent travel between offices
• Flexibility -- Able to troubleshoot client issues in a developing world setting
• Tenacity -- Has worked as a true business partner to the chief executive of a start-up, making recommendations and developing strategic plans
• Passion – Committed to working for a social enterprise, with a track record of work in the poverty alleviation or international development sectors
Candidates must have at least seven years of relevant international BPO experience, including management of a P&L of at least $4M, and the ability to work in the United States.
The Managing Director will receive a compensation plan commensurate with experience, including comprehensive medical insurance and a gym stipend.