Samasource is an award-winning social business that connects women and youth living in poverty to dignified work via the Internet. Using a proprietary technology platform, we break down large-scale on line projects into small tasks for workers in impoverished areas around the world to complete. These workers are trained in basic computer skills and paid a living wage, often allowing them to support their entire households. Currently, Samasource provides work to people in Uganda, Kenya, Haiti, India, and Ghana.
Samasource was founded in 2008 and is supported by major corporate and philanthropic funders including The MasterCard Foundation, Google.org, eBay Foundation, Cisco, The Rockefeller Foundation, The California Endowment, and the U.S. State Department. Headquartered in San Francisco’s Mission District, Samasource has more than 30 employees and gives work to thousands of people worldwide.
To date, Samasource has paid more than $3 million to over 3,500 workers and local partners supporting an average of 2-3 dependents each. We see the opportunity to exponentially expand our impact by building a replicable training model. Samaschool, as we call this model, will standardize and automate Samasource’s current training practices into an online package for partners all over the world to use.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial and passionate Program Director to develop and launch a vocational online training program to prepare women and youth living in poverty to participate in informal online work. This is an exciting opportunity to shape the program's vision at the ground level and establish an unprecedented benchmark for global workforce training. This role will be responsible for all aspects of this new program including: developing training to match the needs of global enterprise employers, launching a pilot program, hiring and managing a team to support the program's expansion efforts, and tracking outcomes including job placement rates for trained workers.
- Research and establish a set of standardized training criteria required for workers in our core international geographies (East Africa, India, Haiti) to successfully perform outsourced online projects
- Develop end-to-end online training curriculum, including video-based soft skills training, to prepare workers for online projects
- Localize curriculum and delivery method as needed to meet the needs of a diverse international population
- Collaborate closely with internal Samasource teams to refine and revamp project-based training courses
- Launch a pilot of the training to test curriculum methodology and content
- Use outcome-based experiments to test and iterate on curriculum content and delivery methods
- Determine and maintain online learning content and library of courses and tools
- Coordinate with our evaluation team for all program data collection, program reports and other related materials
- Research and catalogue for standardized use the needs and requirements of employers in the geographies where we train and employ our workers. Work with our field team to educate potential employers on the abilities of trainees and evaluate worksites for appropriate work conditions.
- Assist in the development of fundraising proposals
- Forge partnerships with leaders in this industry and represent the organization at meetings, conferences and events
- At least 3+ years of proven experience in developing and implementing vocational training programs in an international context; experience in Kenya preferred
- Familiarity with online work systems including oDesk and Elance
- Knowledge of existing digital literacy programs and online vocational training programs
- Understanding of or experience with teaching life skills and other soft skills, especially via video
- Experience hiring and managing a team
- Demonstrated ability to adapt new technologies, software and technical tools
- At home in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of ambiguity
- Deep commitment to Samasource’s mission and scaling our work through online training
- High level of initiative, motivation and excellent attention to detail
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to travel to the field to observe and assess how trainees are learning
- Preferred: Experience successfully training or adapting curricula in multicultural settings and/or for challenged communities
- Preferred: Masters degree in Education or related field
- Must be eligible to work from the U.S.