The Development Assistant will be a key team member that supports the organization’s ambitious growth targets for philanthropic funding and organizational partnerships, working with a team of 3 development team members including the CEO, Director of Development, and Development Officer.
The organization: Nyaya Health
Nyaya Health is a for-purpose organization that exists to realize the right to health by delivering transparent, data-driven health care to Nepal’s rural poor. We believe that without health, there can be no dignity or opportunity. Since 2008, the organization has delivered health care to over 150,000 people in Nepal’s poorest region, currently employs 160 Nepalis, and has catalyzed $140,000 of Nepali government investment in the last 4 years. In 2011, the organization was named a Standout Organization (only 8 of more than 800 organizations examined received this distinction) by the extremely rigorous nonprofit evaluator GiveWell for our ability to deliver health care in a very poor region with “unusual” levels of transparency.
Our work has gained media attention in outlets as diverse as the New York Times, Christian Science Monitor, and Freakonomics Blog. Read more about what makes us different as part of our Cultural DNA.
The opportunity: Are you the right fit?
You’ve been successful at raising money from friends and family for passions of yours, aren’t shy about writing creative cold emails to try to get the attention of people you’ve never met, are hungry to find new opportunities that fit with our mission, and you’ve written at least one successful personal or organizational funding application. You are good with detail and don’t mind dipping your head into spreadsheets and big proposals to make sure our work is perfect. Most importantly, your orientation toward the work should match well with our operating values, or what we call our Cultural DNA.
You can’t be in the market for a dry 9-5 ‘job’, but instead, you’re looking to use your internship as a rare opportunity of concentrated time to maximize your learning and make a big impact.
Internships always share a balance between learning and doing. We want to be clear that we are looking for interns who are biased towards “doing”. You will have great learning opportunities, find mentors in our team, and we will give you role clarity and context. But our team will have very high expectations for you to be self-driven, resourceful, and able to execute work independently without any hand-holding.
What You Will Be Doing:
Responsibilities for the Development Assistant will include:
· Finding new funding opportunities through annual reports, The Foundation Center, partners, and other online resources.
· Vetting of initial opportunities, including basic relationships mapping of board members, staff and any links to our team.
· Vetting includes linking to available websites, 990’s, and Annual Reports.
· Printing in-office thank you’s and executing mailings.
· Identifying and pursuing in-kind opportunities and making asks for office supplies, event supplies, donor thank-you’s, and other much needed resources.
· Inputting content and data for ongoing smaller scale development partnerships.
· Events strategy and execution.
· Basic content writing and proofreading.
100% of your time will be spent at Nyaya Health’s office located near Union Square at 17 W. 17th Street in NYC.
Please send the materials below to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Intern Application – Your Name” in the subject line of the email.
· Show, don’t tell. Send us a portfolio of your work (which includes your resume or LinkedIn profile). We are being purposefully vague in our explanation here. Please send us whatever format (or combination of formats) best exemplifies your work that can be reviewed in less than 10 minutes.
What happens after submission?
Please note, due to volume we may not be able to respond to all submissions. If our team is interested in moving forward, your submission will be responded to via email within 7 days asking short clarification questions.
If your application is advanced, we will ask immediately to set up an initial 20-minute phone interview to initiate the interview process.