We need someone that can help one of the fastest growing nonprofit organizations with its accounting operations and financial controls. We are looking for an energetic and organized self-starter to be responsible for the full-cycle accounting procedures for several nonprofit projects for our clients. You must have a strong understanding of nonprofit accounting practices and must be able to work well in a fast-paced environment.
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps philanthropists and investors pursue their social and environmental goals more effectively. Our platform of services enables clients to use all of their assets—grants, investments, relationships, time, and talent—to achieve greater good.
We work with large foundations and corporations, as well as families and individuals, to develop strategic focus, execute projects, evaluate grantees and programs, invest for impact, efficiently manage grants and funds, and continually learn and innovate. Our team is socially minded and entrepreneurial, always looking for ways to make the world a better place by better serving our clients.
About the Managed Nonprofit Organizations
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple public charities, including a 501(c)(3) named the New Venture Fund and a 501(c)(4). These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation and global health. The organizations have also provided fiscal sponsorship to projects focused on voter registration, public policy, education, disaster recovery, and music and the arts.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Record journal entries for assigned client programs, projects and sub-projects
- Perform routine GL account reconciliations as part of monthly closing procedures for all assigned programs and projects
- Process semi-monthly payroll and 401(k) funding for program staff; ensure accuracy and compliance with annual reporting requirements.
- Produce monthly, quarterly and annual program and project financial reports for donor review, as well as ad hoc analyses upon donor request
- Assist in preparation of schedules to support financial audits and preparation of Form 990 and other tax/regulatory returns
- Ensure compliance with federal grant reporting requirements.
- Manage project budget tracking and cash flow management
- Oversee and support accounts payable and receivable processes relating to assigned programs and projects
- Manage 1099 reporting and vendor records
- Assist management with special projects
Valued and Non-Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three or more years of relevant professional experience maintaining books with non-profit organizations
- Proficiency with accounting software and Excel spreadsheets
- Experience with full-cycle GL, AP & AR accounting processes
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage and meet deadlines for multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent verbal and written communication, including the ability to communicate complex financial matters to non-financial personnel
- Ability to work within multi-functional teams
A Career with Arabella Advisors
- Experience in philanthropy, nonprofit management or consulting
- Degree in accounting or finance
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics
- Experience managing federal grants/contracts
- Experience with lobbying rules and regulations
- Experience with payroll administration
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, fun, transparent, collaborative, and healthy culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more about our people, culture, and work. However, we thought you should know that Arabella is committed to providing excellent benefits to our employees. For you and your eligible dependents, we pay 100% of premiums and in-network deductibles for health, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide you disability coverage; life insurance; personal and volunteer leave time; a 401K match that you are eligible to receive when you start; $1,500 a year for professional development; and a fitness benefit.
We are also committed to building a firm that is diverse and inclusive. We invite our clients and employees to be fully themselves. By integrating diversity, equity, and inclusion into our work, we benefit from increased knowledge, creativity, flexibility, and organizational and individual growth. We expect all Arabella staff to share this commitment.
Candidates must submit a cover letter and resume to be considered for the position. We will disregard candidates that do not submit the appropriate materials. Cover letters should be thoughtful, specific to this position, and explain what motivated you to apply.