Accounting Associate For Nonprofits
Arabella Advisors seeks a dynamic and enthusiastic individual interested in working with one of the fastest growing nonprofit organizations in the country. In this starter role on our finance team, you will help our clients manage resources for new and innovative nonprofit projects. We need you to be highly organized, and have a demonstrated ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps philanthropists and investors pursue their social and environmental goals more effectively. Our platform of services enables clients to use all of their assets—grants, investments, relationships, time, and talent—to achieve greater good.
We work with large foundations and corporations, as well as families and individuals, to develop strategic focus, execute projects, evaluate grantees and programs, invest for impact, efficiently manage grants and funds, and continually learn and innovate. Our team is socially minded and entrepreneurial, always looking for ways to make the world a better place by better serving our clients.
About the Managed Nonprofit Organizations
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple public charities, including a 501(c)(3) named the New Venture Fund and a 501(c)(4). These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation and global health. The organizations have also provided fiscal sponsorship to projects focused on voter registration, public policy, education, disaster recovery, and music and the arts.
- Review all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment
- Process check and wire requests
- Match invoices to checks, obtain all signatures for checks and distribute checks accordingly
- Reconcile and process monthly credit card statements and payments
- Reconcile and process employee expense reimbursements
- Reconcile vendor statements; research and correct discrepancies
- Respond to all vendor inquiries
- Assist with month-end close
- Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with company policy and accepted accounting practices
- Assist with annual Form 1099 reporting and associated record-keeping requirements
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Assist with preparation of annual audit and tax reconciliation schedules
- Maintain supplies for finance team operations
- Maintain finance team mailbox
- Assist the Controller and finance staff with general ledger reconciliations and special projects as needed
Valued and Non-Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (coursework in accounting/general business) or minimum of 2 years relevant professional experience required
- Knowledgeable of basic accounting principles and functions
- Proficiency with basic Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Experience or familiarity with general accounting software
- Must have a strong work ethic, be well-organized and a self-starter
- Strong problem-solving skills, documentation skills, data analysis, research and resolution skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication, including the ability to report on complex data in an easily understandable manner
- Ability to work independently and within teams in a fast-paced and high-volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness
- Ability to manage and make progress on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to perform mathematical computations such as percentages, fractions, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division quickly and accurately
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and resourcefulness that spurs innovation and problem solving
A Career with Arabella Advisors
- Experience in philanthropy, nonprofit management and/or business
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics GP
- Experience or familiarity with Salesforce or Adobe Pro
- Advanced Excel skills
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, fun, transparent, collaborative, and healthy culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more about our people, culture, and work. However, we thought you should know that Arabella is committed to providing excellent benefits to our employees. For you and your eligible dependents, we pay 100% of premiums and in-network deductibles for health, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide you disability coverage; life insurance; personal and volunteer leave time; a 401K match that you are eligible to receive when you start; $1,500 a year for professional development; and a fitness benefit.
We are also committed to building a firm that is diverse and inclusive. We invite our clients and employees to be fully themselves. By integrating diversity, equity, and inclusion into our work, we benefit from increased knowledge, creativity, flexibility, and organizational and individual growth. We expect all Arabella staff to share this commitment.
Candidates must submit a cover letter and resume to be considered for the position. We will disregard candidates that do not submit the appropriate materials. Cover letters should be thoughtful, specific to this position, and explain what motivated you to apply.